Saturday 8 March 2014

Paint Table Saturday, or 90% Inspiration, 10% Perspiration


Greetings, friends, followers and casual visitors.

Those of you who have followed the sporadic progress of my SAGA Scots warband (and, indeed, any of my alleged 'projects') will have long since realised that I'm not an industrial-scale painting machine. I leave that to my more motivated colleague and partner in crime, Millsy, whose Stakhanov-like output has been on show for all to see over at Curt's Analogue Painting Challenge. But alas, I am not the stuff of which such exemplars are made, so I work on a smaller scale and at a more... erm, leisurely pace.

But lately, I'm feeling a little more inspired, thanks to seeing more of the work of a good many industrious and talented painters and modellers, both in the Challenge and in the Google+ community Paint Table Saturday.

This is the second week in a row I've actually posted something, so try not to reel in astonishment...

Remember last week's post? Got me some tufts and a piece of terrain, and there has actually been some progress.

Now, I've gone a bit crazy with the Tajima1 heather tufts on the 5 points of Scots already painted, based and varnished;



OK, so maybe I went a little overboard, but I like the lift the flowering tufts give to the figures, and would certainly recommend them to anyone who has yet to give them a go.

Part two of last week's post dealt with the recent acquisition of a Celtic Cross from Ainsty Castings. Well, it's been cleaned up, any imperfections in the casting have been remedied, and it's now sand-based and awaiting an undercoat. 

No, those aren't ninjas standing nearby; that's the last point of undercoated hearthguard for the SAGA Scots, next up for completion, including a standard bearer with a flagstaff cut down and converted from a North Star 100mm spear. I've already bought myself a suitable flag from LBMS, and it looks the business.

At six points, I will deem the Scots completed to an acceptable level and will be able to move on to my next project; more SAGA warbands, more terrain for same, or something completely different? 

Will I be able to shake off my antipathy to big projects and try something after the manner of the multitude of PROPER painters and modellers currently gracing the blogs? Well, maybe, maybe not - but I know that if I do, there are plenty of you out there to keep inspiring me to greater efforts, for which I remain eternally grateful.

Stay tuned!

Evan


13 comments :

  1. Lots of loveliness on that table Ev, and who doesn't like a good tufting? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr Awdry!

      If I can just get the last point of hearthguard completed, I can step back and plot out my production schedule for the next few months. I need structure!

      Delete
  2. Hola
    Buena mesa de pintura
    me gusta la cruz,una buena escena
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, J.D,

      Gracias por las amables palabras!

      (And I hope that Google Translate is working properly...)
      ; )

      Delete
    2. Hola
      Si funciona bastante bien,es el mismo que uso yo
      un saludo

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm..... The more I see that cross the more I want one for myself. Good to see the tufts being put to good use and also to see the remaining Hearthguard hitting the table as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit, I can't keep this quiet any longer; I have a spare one in the workbench drawer!

      Interested?

      Delete
    2. Certainly! How did you end up with two?

      Delete
    3. I was going to do a 'ruined' version as well.

      Delete
  4. I agree. That cross is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darcy, I'd been looking around t'internet for something like this for a while.

      Other manufacturers make crosses, but they were all too short or squat or ugly or otherwise unsuitable. The Ainsty model, by contrast, is well-proportioned and nicely detailed. There was one cell of the openwork which had been blocked by a miscast, but this was easily corrected with some quick work with a drill and file.

      I hope to complete it to an acceptable standard, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. The warband looks great. The tufts are really good and that cross will be a great piece..
    Got to love those LBM decals.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...