Wednesday 5 February 2014

Bonus Round - Angelicus Mechanicus Command Squad

This is my entry for the Heroes bonus round on Curt's painting challenge - a complete command squad for my growing 40K divergent Space Marine chapter. Don't forget to head over and vote for your favourite entries.


The squad includes a Commander, Librarian, Techmarine, Apothecary, Standard Bearer and Veteran Sergeant. They are all the older style metal models with plastic arms, weapons and jet packs as required. I've given some of the lower ranked marines non-standard jet packs to represent the mechanicus theme.


The banner is bespoke, made using iconography from the web. As it's a divergent chapter GW have never produced anything official so I made my own in Photoshop. It shows the Adeptus Mechanicus skull crest, surmounted by the dual Dark Angel / Blood Angel chapter icons, above the Legio Mechanicus name.
The black side stripes have a low key text pattern, repeating the Legio Mechanicus name over and over for a little extra interest. All the icons are of course copyright GW.



The setting is my "bug planet" terrain, made from corks, ecalyptus gum nuts and other bits and pieces.
Just the kind of place you'd find a nasty xeno threat that needs to be expunged.



I've been holding off on painting these as I knew they would take a LOT of work. I also wanted to make sure I gave them the best finish possible so I didn't attempt them till I had the colours and force theme down to a fine art. I'm pretty happy with them overall.

Cheers,
Millsy

13 comments :

  1. Beautifully painted SMs! Very nice. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations old chap. I generally find Space Marines dreadfully boring, but those are very fine indeed. Wonderful work. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Me too, hence my faffing about with the fluff and then not being able to decide on red or green and going for both!

      Delete
  3. Yup, lovely job on these lads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspired painting with great banners and colors! These fellows do look the business. Might we see them in an AAR one day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Monty. You never know, maybe, maybe. That would of course depend on my mates turning up with fully painted and based armies. It's a pet hate of mine (and not in any way a criticism of others mind you) but I don't like to do AARs with half painted stuff.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work, as usual! And what's the 40K army point total now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Ev. Something like 1,600 poits I think points-wise, but that includes everything I've painted. Some of it can't be used at the same time as I have a fair few HQ choices. The playable list is around 1,250 poits I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your marines are very crisp looking. They pop out and demand to be stared at. And that is also some clever use of cork.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...